Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Damn ** UPDATED

So um crap. I've been feeling a lot of pressure in my pelvis since last Thursday. At first it was in short bursts, but it got more frequent and intense until I got totally freaked out and called my doc today. They had me come in this afternoon. They checked my cervix and it is hard and closed, but they were concerned about what I thought was general abdominal tenderness, but which is really freaking early contractions, not of the braxton hicks type. Damn damn damn.

She checked the baby and his hb was fine and his fluid was good. He kicked me all afternoon so I felt pretty good that he was doing well even if my damn uterus is trying to mess with him.

The doc ordered two days of bedrest to start (I thought DH was going to faint when he heard her say that) plus nifedepine to stop the contractions. I'm supposed to check in on Monday to report back.

Please send us some good vibes. It is much too early for our little lion cub to even be thinking of making an appearance.

For now, I'm feet up on the couch with my water and my laptop, hoping to keep occupied...

**Updated to add that now that I've had time to think about it some more, I feel like an idiot. I was worried two months ago that two health issues (asthma and inflamatory bowel disease) put me at risk for preterm labor and that my old doc wasn't watching me closely enough. It turns out I wasn't watching me closely enough. I'm going to email my doc today to see what else I need to know and what comes next. I need to do everything I can to protect our little boy and make sure he gets the best start possible. I don't want to fail him.

7 comments:

SmartAssMom said...

You won't fail him. Hang in there...both of you!

May said...

Hello-I'm a preterm labor girl myself who wandered over from Mel's. I spent a really long time on bedrest, and my suite of medications included nifedipine. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help! Best of luck.

-May (email problemuterus at gmail dot com)

Ris said...

Hey there, my friend sent me a link to your page and asked me to tell you what preterm labor was like for me. I am not sure how many weeks along you are, but I was at 33 weeks. I started having contractions one morning, and at first they were just annoying and crampy. (the contractions were located in my lower back) I am not sure if they were coming at exact intervals, as I wasn't timing- really thought it was normal braxton hicks. But as the day went on, they got worse and much more painful. (unable to nap, etc) I drove myself to the hospital, and the contractions were changing my cervix. They did terbutiline shots, demerol and a magnesium bag, and my son still persisted and was born at 5 am the next morning. (less than 20 hours after contractions started) I just had my second child two weeks ago, but had real contractions (and several false alarm hospital visits) from 28 weeks on. (the contractions thinned my cervix out and I was dilated to a 3 for weeks) I was on bedrest (not even allowed to sit up- had to be horizontal) from 33-36 weeks, and baby still did NOT come. I ended up being induced at 39 weeks. The contractions aren't fun, I know, but hopefully if your cervix is still closed, you are in good shape! Don't hesitate to go to the hospital or call your dr anytime you need to- that's what they are there for. Good luck with the bed rest and I hope that your little one takes his time! Marisa

Dr. Grumbles said...

STAY INSIDE, LITTLE GUY!

Ariella said...

Hi Sarah! I was wondering through IF blogs and found yours. Hope you don't mind if I become an avid reader of it.

I hope the cramping is gone now and that litle lion cub is doing fine.

kittylove(from the nest)

singletracey said...

Came over from the L&F and I wanted to say HI! Hang in there..

Oh and I am a N. Cal girl too.. !! :-)

darcihk said...

Damn is right. I'm actually thinking of a little stronger word. I know that horrible fear you're feeling right now- I have been where you are. I have a 3-yr-old who gave me a patch of gray hair, and who wouldn't have been here without 28 weeks of bedrest and lots of other frills. But he's here. And he's wonderful. And it was so worth it. You're doing all the right things- rest and water are important. I'm thinking good things for you, and visualizing the entry you'll write about bringing your baby home. xo.
-Darci Klein Darci@PreventPregnancyLoss.Org